The princess stopped in her tracks...please wolf...let's not go any closer...it looks so dark...scary...can't we go somewhere else...
Don't you want to see what is inside...it is important to you and your journey...and I am here right beside you...
I'm not sure...stay close...don't leave me the princess whispered...
still afraid she took one step and then another...soon they were at the entrance to the cave...a cold breeze came from deep within....it chilled her to the bone and made her even more reluctant to venture inside...but the wolf quickly walked in....dragging the princess behind him...
There...we're in now...no turning back...they both sighed and looked around...
the cave was dark...but glowed...greenish...then blueish...pulsating...breathing...alive...
it was beautiful...but still...
the princess finally breathed....and breathed again...
she could do this...had to do this...no matter what lay within...
the two ventured further inside...walking along letting the glow guide them...the princess could feel eyes watching them...feel hot breath on her back...but she couldn't see anything other than her and the wolf...
this is it the wolf whispered...
what? she asked...where?
yonder..behind that rock...he waits for you...be not afraid for you have the guardians at your back...
Guardians? what guardians...where? but his time when the princess looked behind her...she saw what she had only felt before...
Several of them hovered right behind her....fiery...big...fierce dragons...she gulped and shrank back to hide behind the wolf...
Do not be afraid of us the princess heard them all speak at once...we are here to protect you..no harm will come to you while we are near...
Again, the princess took a deep breath and finally stepped back from behind the wolf...protect me from what?
There behind the rock...you will soon see...we are here...do not be afraid...
The Princess stood there...unsure what to do...where to go...trust these creatures and forge ahead...or turn and run for her life?
The choice was made for her..for from behind the rock...stepped the...
Hello my princess he purred...I've been waiting for you...come with me...we need to return home where we belong...forever...together...
But she pulled back from him..suddenly not afraid of him anymore...not here at least...he couldn't...certainly couldn't hurt her with the dragons close...and indeed they spit fire and lit up the cave like day at the sight of the Wizard....
I don't think I want to go with you....thank you, but no...the princess told him...
But, My dear...I love you...you love me...we are destined to be together...remember the stories I've told you?
That's just it, the princes cries...suddenly exasperated with him...the stories you tell...just that...stories...not truths...mostly lies...I can't trust you...you've lied to me too many times...taken my trust and belief I could have had for you and stomped on it...
That's all in the past dear...I have changed...no more do I look at others...talk to them...whisper sweet words to them...give them promises...
I've heard you...seen the proof...and just recently you were called by one...one I heard you tell you loved...wanted to be with...missed and called her baby...made plans to be with soon...
I told her I wasn't coming...I stayed didn't I?
But she called you...you won't talk to her while I am around...so it makes me wonder...makes me not trust...
I didn't talk...because she isn't important to me...you are....
The why did you contact her when I wasn't around? what did you have to tell her that I couldn't hear?...no, I do not trust you...never again will I trust you...
But the Wizard would not take no for an answer...we shall see my sweet...I have you just where I want you...go on your little adventure...and when you are done playing...come back home...where you belong...home to me...
And if I don't...the princess challenged...
You can't make it without me my sweet and there is no one to help you...these friends of yours here? he laughed...good in a dark cave...maybe...but out there in the real world? they can't help you there....
The Wizard laughed again...spun around...turned into an eagle and flew up and out of the cave...leaving the princess and her entourage standing in the cave...
The princess sank to her knees...crying...he is right...I felt safe here with all of you...but out there...he rules me...he is right...I am under his spell....indebted so much...I can't make it without him..and there is none other to help...I've done this to myself...walked right into his trap...just as the prince walked into the Wicked Queens trap years ago...I'm as lost as he was...doomed to suffer a worse fate...alas...no love for me...no prince to rescue me...this is my path...my destiny...I might as well resign myself to my fate and return home...return to the Wizard..he has won...
and the princess turned to make her way back along the way she had come...
Defeated...forlorn...no belief left in her...


No comments:
Post a Comment